Thursday, May 8, 2008

Week 8: Answer boards and social searching

I found this week very interesting. I have for years used Message Boards on Family History sites and have gained quite a lot of information from them as well as making contact with people who are researching either the same names or areas. I have discovered that most of the people on these sites are genuinely interested and provide good information and the best part is it is free.

I thought that the Yahoo!7 Answers and WikiAnswers were very good. I know that some of the questions seem ridiculous but we have to realise that for some people, for varying reasons, there is just no one to give them these answers. It is also good to have varied opinions as well.

I really liked the idea of "Slamming the Boards". What a wonderful way to promote our industry and let the people out there understand what we are really capable of. I thought the tag lines and signatures were good and I liked the fact that the answers can be rated as this can assist others who have the same query.


I believe that Answer Boards and Social Searching do have a place in the Library particularly in the Reference area.

No comments: