Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Week 11: Online applications and tools

My head is spinning. So many on line applications to choose from. Hasn't this technology come a long way since its beginning. I clicked on the Google Docs link and up it came with four of my documents. Don't ask me how, that is something I will have to put some thought into. They are all documents that were emailed to me and I replied to.

I have just received my first email from Zamzar. I converted a jpg file to a thumbnail. Must admit it is a bit fuzzy. Perhaps it wasn't a good choice. Now I have my second email. This time I converted a word doc to pdf format. This one looks good.

I can see endless opportunities for use of these online applications in the library. Finally an end to all the hassles of customers word processing and not being able to save the information or complaining that they can't open their files on USBs etc. If customers can save their files on Google Docs or Zoho it would be much easier for them and the staff and with no cost involved everyone will be happy. Also staff can collaborate with each other with work documents without sending endless emails or having to find time to get together particularly when it involves different branches.

I would find it very useful for my Genealogy information. I won't have to carry around a USB or send the documents to myself via email so as to access them wherever I am.

Slideshare and Thumbstacks would be very ueful for staff training, making information available to the customers either for library procedures or what is available in the library. Customers and staff can easily access this information and use it as many times as they like whenever it is convenient to them.

I have completed my Google doc. and will now send it. Hope it arrives at its destination.

No comments: