Thursday, May 15, 2008

Week 12: Wrap up; social networks and catch up

For some time now I have heard my sons talk about their Facebook accounts, who else they knew who had one and had a good laugh about what people put on them. They have shown me a couple but not theirs. I didn't ever consider signing up but can now see that this could be a good way to communicate. I just hope that we do not lose the art of verbal and personal communication.

After looking at The British Library and East Renfrewshire Council in Scotland on Facebook and Rotorua Public Library on Bebo I can see that Social networking sites offer a new means of publicising libraries to the community and allowing discussions on what they have to offer. The good part is that the only cost involved would be the time taken by staff to maintain the pages. Not sure though how I feel about Second Life.

All this new technology that has been introduced to us during the last 12 weeks has a usefulness in libraries but we mustn't forget that there are people who for varying reasons are unable to use a computer so we must consider their needs as well.

I have enjoyed the Learning 2.0 experience although there were times I didn't think I would finish by the deadline but here I am with a week to spare. I have learnt quite a lot over the time and know that I will be able to apply my newly acquired knowledge both at work and personally.

I have completed the feedback survey.

Many thanks to the NSWSL Learning 2.0 team who have supported us all the way through.

No comments: